The Museum of Cork is located in the historic centre of Calangianus, inside a beautiful complex of the 18th century which includes an old monastery of Capuchins and the church of “Santa Maria degli Angeli”. The ancient structure, made of granite, was built in the 18th century by the Franciscan monks.
In 1866, period during which the relationships between State and Church were hostile because of the Pope’s temporal power, the monks were expelled from the monastery. As a result, the province of Sassari was given a part of the convent to be used as barracks of the “Royal Carabinieri” while the rest was used by the territorial entity as school and prison.
In the centre of the cloister it is still possible to admire the old well which was used in the past by the population for the daily basic necessities.
During the First and the Second World War, the church was occupied by the soldiers who left it in very bad condition.
In 1946, thanks to a special committee, some funds were raised between the population in order to adorn the inner part of the church with frescos of the Milanese painter Carlo Armanni (who was soldier in Gallura) representing scenes of Saint Francis’ life of Assisi.
The Museum was inaugurated in July 2011 but was only opened to the public in May 2012. It is run by the tourist-cultural association “Contiamoci” who has also set it up.
The structure has two floors: on the ground floor, inside the typical cells where lived the monks, are exposed machinery and hand tools used for the cork manufacturing.
The big room on the first floor hosts a multimedia section with videos which show the different phases of the manufacturing, from the harvesting of the raw material to the finished cork stoppers. A second room is arranged to host conventions and educational programs for children.
A tour guide will accompany the visitors during their visit in order to explain every single step of the processing.
In the museum there is a shop where it is possible to buy souvenirs and products made of cork.
The tomb, datable to the Bronze Age, was utilised during a long period which goes from the 15th to the 10th century B.C. Its old majesty is still visible thanks to the series of monoliths, which surround the “esedra” and which are placed in number of nein on both sides, in a progressive height opposed to the central “stele”. The lack of its upper extremity, stolen in the course of the centuries, does not change the original majesty of the tomb considering that the remaining part is 2,30 m wide. It keeps intact the original mound of earth and stones which cover the body of the tomb leaving in sight only the series of twelve slabs of granite that covered the sepulchral corridor.
The tomb was revealed in 1997, during the excavation and restoration works directed by Professor Angela Antona.